7.21.2013

The $100 Weekend Startup Business

(Para leer este artículo en Español, haga click aquí: http://alosveintipico.blogspot.com/2013/07/wiken-negocio-startup.html)

"There he goes again," you might be thinking. And you'd be right. I've been in this position before: motivated, so sure that things will work out, confident in my skills and instinct to be able to make my projects come to life. Unfortunately, none of them have actually happened. I could be lazy and blame a lack of resources (money), but the fact is that I'm just tired of my own excuses. There is no bigger obstacle than the one you place yourself. I've accepted that I simply just didn't do enough; I didn't go far enough, I didn't think hard enough, I wasn't strong enough -- I couldn't put on my big boy pants when the going got tough. I gave up, time and time again. With all the motivational stuff I preach, you'd think me a hypocrite, and I'm seeing myself that way. 
I'm a loser, a fraud, a failure, straight up.

And yet, here we are again. Again. But this time, I feel, is different. 

Although I am not yet prepared to go into detail as to what this project is about, I can say that it's a web application/service, and the process I plan on putting behind it is kind of special to me. It's a project that, whatever happens, success or not, I 'll be proud of. Because I am vowing to do my best, to go beyond good enough. I am learning as much as I can (which is saying a lot when you already know quite a bit) and dedicating most of my free time to obsessing even more over marketing, technology, programming languages and the economics of a startup. In a way, what matters won't be the product itself-- the road will be the reward. Cliché as fuck, I know. But it's true.

Allow me to explain...

If I can acknowledge something about myself, it's that I work well with deadlines. There's something about the pressure that pushes me to do my best at my most efficient. I thrive under pressure. And that's why I am taking a different approach to this project. At the moment, I am in the middle of an intense research and development phase; basically, putting all of the elements together and in order in time for the first or second week of August, for two reasons:

  •  I'll be committing to and completely dedicating one of those two weekends -just- to work on launching the product. 48 hours. 
  • It's when I get paid (hah! Middle Class!), and I will set aside a portion of my paycheck to develop and launch the product: $100. 


I am plotting to launch a product, a business, in 48 hours with $100. Sounds pretty doable, in my opinion.

Obviously, I am not aiming towards a mature and perfect product, the idea is to -start- and build its Minimum Viable Product, in keeping with the "Lean Startup" philosophy that I've been so fascinated with for years. (More information about the Lean Startup here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_Startup)

In that period of time, I expect to:


  1. Acquire the domain for the website, as well as a hosting service to, erm, host it. (I'm looking for the best -green- webhost, if you know any, please let me know)
  2. Acquire and integrate key plugins that will enable the core functions of the website.
  3. Develop the initial design and layout, following detailed notes and sketches I have been laying down for some time now.
  4. Publish at least 3 test pages/domains
  5. Ensure initial product quality. Have a clear idea of what's next in development, fixes, and overall structure and design of the product and business.


The weeks after that weekend will be used to refine the product and, if testing proves successful, apply for patents and business licenses.

In the weeks leading up to the project build,  I will be posting updates with more details about the product, including the name, as well as my vision for it and a glimpse of most of the ideas I have for it moving forward.  If you have any questions or tips, please do not hesitate to hit me up, they'll be more than welcome. I love feedback.

Wish me strength, patience, but most of all: wish that I learn even more from all this.

Alberto


Facebook: Alberto Endavant
Twitter: @AlbertoEndavant
Youtube: Alberto Endavant

*If you have an idea for a future post, or any questions you might need help with, don't hesitate in contacting me through any of the social networks, or just send an email to alosveintipico@gmail.com *


ar

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario